Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Help (Saturday and Sunday)

This is a two day blog (not that they aren't all long, but this one might be longer)...

I was off both Saturday and Sunday and instead of going out Hubby and I stayed in :D. So Saturday was a semi-normal cooking day, decided not to try out a new recipe but would make cookies and some "Rica-a-Roni" that I have made more times then I could count. Would you believe that I messed up that darn cookie recipe?!?!?!?! Instead of putting in 1 tablespoon of water and 3 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil, I put in 1 teaspoon of water and 3 teaspoons of Vegetable oil, needless to say they didn't get any bigger than the balls that I rolled, and they didn't rise...oh well I added toffee chips and they still tasted great, and good to dip in coffee!!! Now to that darn "Rice-a-Roni" recipe that I messed up...It is a "Blend of rice, vermicelli, broccoli and chicken broth" (so says the box, and what the hell is vermicelli????). So step one is to add butter and Saute over medium heat until vermicelli is golden brown, stirring frequently, um it goes from white to burnt in like 10 seconds. I burnt the entire thing and had to make mac and cheese (cause who can mess that up?). Hubby made steaks on the grill and they were yummy, we also had salad, and Hubby ate peas, cause I can't stand them!!!

Sunday was another day of doing nothing :D I <3 days like these!!! I watched "The Help" if you have not watched that movie or read that book, you must it is REALLY good! In the movie "Minnie" one of the maids teaches "Celia" how to cook, and the first thing that she makes is fried chicken, I thought if she could do it, so could I. So I got two pieces of chicken, one egg, butter, flour, and some lemon pepper spice and went to work. My first piece of chicken came out all crispy and cooked just right. But in between that piece and the 2nd I didn't change my burnt butter, and so, the out side was burnt and the inside was raw!! I had to pull it out, change my butter, make my house all smokey, turn on my Scentsy (PS if you are reading this you should buy from me!!! http://crystallstine.scentsy.us, trust me you will be hooked), and then put the chicken back in the pan!! Talk about frustrated!!! I also made Broccoli-Cheddar Soup. It is my favorite soup, and I have always wanted a recipe that I could tweak and make my own. So I finally found one in my favorite cooking magazine; food network!!! It was a very easy recipe and one that Hubby could work on too, so we made it together!! It was so yummy!!! I like to have him in the kitchen if he is willing to help, it makes my work easier sometimes, and it makes him see how hard it is to make things sometimes, and how things can go wrong.

On another note I tried to make guac again...and my Avocados weren't ripe, I had to throw them away!! Bummer!!!

I can't post the rice recipe, cause you have to buy the "Rice-a-Roni" so just buy one with vermicelli and see if you can manage not to burn it.

Same with the Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe, it is a bagged cookie mix and I only added the toffee, so if you get the better crocker one and try it let me know!!

Now one I can post :D

Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
Active: 35 min Total: 35 min Serves: 4

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups of half-and-half
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1/3 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 and 1/3 cups)
Croutons, for topping (optional)

Try this out tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment