Monday, September 2, 2013

Boil the Chicken all day, peels right off the bone!

It's almost time for the crock pot to be dusted, my house to smell like fall, and to eat something with pumpkin in it until Christmas.  Can you tell I'm excited?  Fall is my favorite time of year.  (I bought pumpkin spice creamer, I have 5 cans of pumpkin in my pantry, I love FALL!!)  

I bought a bunch of chicken legs, and my hubby could not care to eat them, because they are bone in.  So I decided that I would use them for this recipe, but I needed to get the bone off first.  Not such an easy task, the chicken is not really willing to part with the bone.  So I boiled it almost the entire day.  While I was busy doing laundry, and cleaning up, the chicken was busy party ways with it's bone!!  (I crack myself up sometimes!!!)

I made "King Ranch Chicken Casserole" from my Gooseberry Patch book.  (Thank you Sharon "ShaSha" Wolfe for deciding that I need this cookbook, I have loved every recipe that I have made from it!!!)  However, when I was reading this, I didn't realize that there was no ranch in it.  I kind of wanted the ranch, and no I didn't dip it in ranch.  This recipe is simple and very yummy!!!

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

(Introduce your family to the cheesy layers of this chicken and tortilla casserole that's popular with residents of the Lone Star State, where it originated.)

1c. onion diced
1c. green pepper, diced
8-oz pak. sliced mushrooms (I forgot to buy them)
1/4c. butter
10 3/4oz can cream of mushroom soup
10 3/4oz can cream of chicken soup
10 oz can tomatoes with chiles (I used rotelle)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. chili powder
1 T. chicken broth
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, torn into quarters (I forgot to tear them)
3c. cooked chicken, diced and divided
16oz. pkg, shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

Saute onion, pepper and mushrooms in butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add soups, tomatoes, garlic chili powder and broth, heat until bubbly and set aside.
Arrange half the tortilla pieces in a light greased 13x9 baking dish, top with half the chicken half the sauce and half the cheese.  Repeat layers.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Serves 6.  (Um more like two and a hubby who decided that he loved it and ate on it until there wasn't anymore).

Linda Behiliing
Cecil, PA

Yummo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment