Saturday, March 17, 2012

This was not as good as it looks...

Sweet and Spicy Honey Grilled Shrimp

2-2 1/2 lb. raw, shelled, de-veined shrimp; raw shrimp are blue or grey, not pink. Get Tiger Shrimp if you can find them. Oh, and that “vein”? It’s not actually a vein. It’s poop. Don’t let the Euphamism Police trick you.
1 Tbsp. minced or pressed garlic
1/4 c. minced fresh ginger
1/4 c. hot chili garlic paste
1/2 c. sweet chili garlic paste
1 c. honey
1 c. fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1 c. canola oil

Rinse shrimp in cold water and place in a large Ziploc bag. Combine garlic, ginger, both chili pastes, honey, lime juice, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Set aside 1 c. of the marinade. Pour remaining mixture over shrimp and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.

When ready to cook, thread shrimp onto skewers. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 1/2 hour before skewering anything. Preheat outdoor grill. This really should be done outside because they get VERY smokey! When grill is hot, reduce heat to low and quickly place all skewers over the heat. Brush with reserved marinade. When they’ve cooked for 1 1/2-2 minutes,quickly flip them over and brush or drizzle with remaining marinade. Cook for another 1 1/2-2 minutes, or until opaque and pink.Shrimp cook extremely quickly and you don’t want to overcook them, but these are pretty forgiving if you do.

Remove skewers from grill and remove shrimp from skewers. Pile them on a big ol’ platter, drizzle with any remaining reserved marinade, and squeeze the juice from a lime all over them. Toss to distribute the deliciousness. You could serve this with:

Lime Cilantro Rice with Pineapple
Sweet and Savory Coconut Rice
Caramelized Green Beans
Mango-Steak Salad (minus the steak…or with the steak! Surf and turf, baby!)


I want to start our by saying, that I am pretty sure that seafood as well as spicy food is the cause of my hives, but I have YET to be tested. Any ways, after taking my allergy pill, I was so looking forward to eating this. I even made Hubby make rice. However, it really wasn't as flavorful as I thought that it might be. This was a miss.

On another note, how many of you reading this blog drink soda, and a lot of it? Have any of you ever tried to give it up? This is my third time giving it up (the first was a bust because at school that was almost always what they had to offer at the dinning places, and if I am going to waste my meal plan on a drink it might as well have been a soda). The second time was for my wedding, and on the day of my wedding I was craving a Dr. Pepper so bad, it was all I could think about. So this is the third time. And this time I really determined that I will not go back. It is so bad for you. Think about what you are doing to your teeth as well as your kidneys. Right now I'm not even craving them. The hardest times to not want a soda is while I'm at work. I am surrounded by soda. And it is cold, and it is right there. But I tend to go for the water, even though I am craving Tea. Tea is my weakness. I cannot give it up. And so please wish me luck as I continue my journey of not drinking any soda.


Now try that darn recipe, and tell me if you like it!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment