Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What is this????

In my experience...it is never a good thing when someone says..."What is this??" However last night proved that sometimes it is okay to answer that question. I love all the season's for different reasons, Fall is my favorite, but I don't hate the rest! I really like spring, when everything starts to grow, I have a feeling that this year, we are going to go straight into summer. So planets might not make it, LOL. Anyways!! I love Squash, and Zucchini!!!! Last night I wanted to make sure that I got a recipe in, even though work had me drained. So I made Zucchini Cakes!!! Which inspired the comment "What is this?"

The process is not something short when you are making these, and if you don't get them good and crispy on the outside, they are not super good on the inside. Also, squeeze as much of the water out of the zucchini as you can, veggies naturally contain a lot of water, which is why if you don't water your plants they don't grow. Any how, after grating the zucchini for what felt like for ever, and the mixing it all together, and frying them, Hubby comes home, and speaks the famous comment above. After he tastes one with the dip he is hooked, and I hope that you will too. I made the dip all on my own, so ill add that as recipe numba 2!!!

Zucchini Cakes

2 Zucchinis
1 Cup of baking mix (separate recipe)
1/2 medium onion, diced small
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup canola oil (I added a little bit at the end, they soak up oil)
1/2 cup sour cream, for serving (I used it in my recipe, not this one)
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley leaves (I used them in my recipe, not this one)

Grate Zucchini and put in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze (the Hell) well to remove the excess water. In a large bowl combine the zucchini, baking mix, onion, eggs, and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to thoroughly combine. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop 6 to 8 portions (I did 3 at a time) of mixture in the skillet. Fry on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel. In a small bowl mix together sour cream and parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange zucchini cakes on serving platter and serve with sour cream.

What Hubby Calls
Tzatziki sauce, I call sour cream dip (you be the judge).

1/2 cup of sour cream
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoonful of dill (a little more if you really like dill, eyeball it as Rachael Ray Says)
1/2 teaspoonful of garlic salt
1 teaspoonful of mustard (eyeball it)

Mix together and enjoy with zucchini!

The baking Mix:
6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons of salt
3/4 cup shortening

in a large bowl combine flour baking powder, and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry knife or fork until mixture is well blended.

Try it out and let me know what you think <3

No comments:

Post a Comment