Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
Chicken Souvlaki features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil that is so prevalent in Greek cuisine. Serve it alongside a Greek salad of chunked tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and crisp cucumbers. (Try more Greek Recipes).
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 30.9g
- Carbohydrate: 12.3g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 705mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice $
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil $
- 1/2 teaspoon salt $
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces $
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices $
- Cooking spray
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded $
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt $
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice $
- 1/4 teaspoon salt $
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare souvlaki, combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken and zucchini, alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
- Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 garlic clove, stirring well. Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.