Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I'm still not sure if I like Chili...


I have NEVER liked chili...I was the kid/am the adult that order's chili at "Wendy's" and picks out the meat and onions and eats only them. I'm not sure what it is about Chili that I don't like, other than I REALLY hate beans. But you can make Chili without beans.

Anyhow..Hubby has been bugging me about making Chili. My mom has always said that even though I don't like some of the things that he likes, I should make them for him any way. So I found a Chili recipe that I thought that I could eat or like, there isn't a ton of ingredients, and there is only one kind of bean, so I thought that I could stomach it. But, it is hard to make something that you don't like. I like to taste my food before I serve it. I usually get full when I do cook, because I sample all the way through. I listened to Anne Burell, from food network, when she said good cooks sample their food. But, I think that I need to be more like my cooking guru Rachael Ray, and just eyeball the things that I throw into the chili. Some things can use a little more, and some things a little less.

So, I made Chili. The night I made it, I did not like what I tasted. Hubby ate a bowl, like it was the best Chili that he had ever had. Yesterday, after it sat over night, and chilled, Hubby wanted another bowl. He made a bowl, and added some cheese, and I don't know what about it tasted good, but after it sat I liked it. I didn't eat a bowl, but I had some of his and it was good. We will see if I actually LIKE Chili...hahahaha

Game Day Chili (From Pillsbury Cookbook, that is totally Free online >.<)
Prep time: 30mins Start to finish: 2hours and 30minutes Servings: 8

2lb ground beef, chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped (I used three)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 to 2 teaspoons of ground red pepper (cayenne, I used one)
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1 3/4 cups Progresso beef-flavored broth
1 bottle (12oz) dark beer (I used yungling)
3 cans (8oz each) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (4.5oz) Old El Paso chopped green chilies
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1. In a 5 to 6 quart Dutch Oven, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain (I cooked the the onion and garlic first, without the beef, I don't like that the grease and fat from the beef gets in the onion and garlic.)

2. Add chili powder, cumin, red pepper and paprika; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 2 hours.

Let me know if you tried it and what you think <3

No comments:

Post a Comment