Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It takes one food, and my husband says; "Sweetie that was really good, your cooking has gotten better!"


The gyro you are looking at is not what I made, I should have photographed it, but that was an after thought. Anyways...allow me to tell you about my day. Got a passport today, and hopefully around May we will be on a Cruise to the Bahama's. (Well applied for one...) But when you go to get one you have to have your birth certificate, and I am beginning to think that I was hatched from an egg, because when I need that darn thing I can NEVER find it. After about an hour of looking for it, I finally found it on the bookshelf in my office, needles to say after it is sent back to me from the U.S. Government it is going in the same place I put Hubbies!!! (Did I mention that because I had to have my picture taken, that I have super cute Hair today that you can find on facebook? And My hair has gotten long, there is no way I'm cutting it this time around!!)

So let's get back to the food...did I mention that Rachael Ray is my food GURU? One day I would love to meet her and cook just one dish with her. Anyways, I get the Rachael Ray mag, (Actually my grandma gets it, or used to, and after she reads it and the food network mag, I take them..she lets me) and in it there are a ton of recipes. I found one for a gyro type thing, and let me tell you this is worth making and FOLLOWING the directions as they are listed!!! The first time I made this over the summer, I didn't drain the horseradish...it was so watered down that you couldn't eat it like a sandwich. So to make a long blog short...do what Rach says, read all the directions from start to finish!!!

Steak 'Em Up Pitas (Courtesy of Rachael Ray)

serves 4; prep 15 mins; Grill 15 mins
(The brazen kiss of horseradish wakes up a gorgeous filet Mignon draped in sweet grilled onions.)

1/4 cup 2% greek-style yogurt
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. prepared horseradish, drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
EVOO, for brushing
2 onions, cut into 1/3 inch thick slices, rings left intact
salt and pepper
1 1/2 lbs filet Mignon ( I didn't have that so i used flank steak), cut crosswise into 4 even pieces
4 plain pitas
1 bunch spinach-stemmed, thoroughly washed and dried (last time it did not taste good with spinach, so we skipped it this time).

1. preheat a grill to medium. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic.
2. Lightly brush EVOO on the onions. Place them, rings intact on the grill (if you have a grill topper, use it here). Season with salt and pepper, cover the grill and cook, carefully turning once, until softened and lightly charred, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
3. Pat the beef dry and brush with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise.
4. Grill the pitas, turning once, until just warmed through, but not crisp, about 1 minute. Slice off the top third of each pita and spread the insides with 2 generous tsp. of horseradish sauce, then stuff with the spinach, sliced meat and grilled onions. Finish with a dollop of remaining sauce and serve immediately.

Please enjoy and try, and tell me if you tried it and what you thought <3

No comments:

Post a Comment